Stuffed Cabbage Soup made with ground beef, rice, cabbage and fresh tomato sauce on your stovetop in just thirty minutes. This hearty rich soup is cozy and perfect for those cold winter nights!
It comes together in 30 minutes so it is easy and idea for a busy day! Serve this soup with a nice Caesar Salad and some Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rolls for the perfect healthy meal!
Stuffed Cabbage Soup Recipe
Similar to Stuffed Cabbage Casserole, this soup is an easier and less involved recipe than the classic stuffed cabbage rolls your grandma used to make. But it still has the classic flavor and warm rich goodness. And just like most soups the leftovers, if you have any are even better.
There are lots of ways to adapt the soup to your liking, which I love. Make it yours however you want, just make it! You won’t regret it, this will quickly become a family favorite.
Using pretty much the same ingredients as a cabbage roll, these come together in a pinch!
- Ground Beef: Use lean ground beef for less fat
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste
- Onion: Flavor booster
- Butter: For Sautéing the onions
- Cabbage: half a head cut into wedges
- Canned Chopped Tomatoes: Don’t drain this 8 ounce can
- Canned Crushed Tomatoes: Adds more tomato without the chunks
- Beef Broth: Adds liquid with incredible flavor. You can sub out vegetable broth if desired.
- Italian Seasoning: Perfect combination of spices.Sauté
- Rice: Pre-cooked
Making Cabbage Soup
In 30 minutes you can have a hearty dish on the table.
- Crumble: In a large pot over medium heat add the ground beef and cook and crumble. Drain and set aside on a plate.
- Sauté: Cut two Tablespoons butter into the pot and sauté the onions till tender. Remove and set aside with the beef
- Wilt: Place two more Tablespoons of butter in the pot and add the cabbage and cook till tender and wilted. Add the ground beef and onion back to the pan.
- Add: Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomatoes, beef stock, Italian seasoning and let simmer for 15-20 min.
- Stir: Stir in the Rice right before serving and add salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Cabbage Soup in the Slow Cooker
- Browning: Brown the beef and the cabbage over high heat with the butter like directed.
- Combine Ingredients: Add the ingredients (except with one less cup of beef stock and don’t add the rice yet) into the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 2 hours or on low heat for 5 hours.
- Rice: Add in the rice just before serving.
Tips and Variations for Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Most people when making this will boil together all the ingredients which would still be a delicious soup, but with just a couple of adjustments it can be an even more amazing soup!
- Browning: Start by browning the beef really well, getting a good deep browning on the meat.
- Cabbage: Remove the beef you add in the cabbage in a couple of batches, browning the cabbage on high heat before adding in the rest of the ingredients.
- Meat: This can also be made with ground chicken or turkey to lighten it up. You can also add ground pork to add a bit more spice.
- Bulk: In addition to using the cabbage you can also add in cauliflower as well to bulk up the soup.
- Beefier: To make the soup richer you can add in some beef base to the liquids or if you are using beef stock, you can also start with double the stock and cook it down in another saucepan before adding it to your soup. I keep beef base on hand instead of boxes of stock because it’s easier to control the strength of the stock. In this soup I would make it double the strength.
- Veggies: If you want to add more vegetables to the soup you can add in some fresh spinach or green peas. You can also dice carrots and celery and add them in when browning the cabbage.
- Freeze: Before adding the rice, let the soup cool and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and bring to a low simmer on the stove. Add the rice before serving.
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 8 People
Stuffed Cabbage Soup made with ground beef, rice, cabbage and fresh tomato sauce on your stovetop in just thirty minutes.
coarse ground black pepper
cut into 8 wedges and sliced thickly
can chopped tomatoes
8 ounces – not drained
Updated on December 3, 2020
Recipe Posted on January 23, 2018
Calories500kcal (25%)Carbohydrates66g (22%)Protein18g (36%)Fat18g (28%)Saturated Fat8g (40%)Cholesterol55mg (18%)Sodium777mg (32%)Potassium689mg (20%)Fiber4g (16%)Sugar6g (7%)Vitamin A448IU (9%)Vitamin C15mg (18%)Calcium90mg (9%)Iron4mg (22%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Comments are closed.