Glazed Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
This bright and zesty glazed lemon pound cake is buttery, soft and topped with an easy lemon glaze. It is perfect for lemon lovers!
If you’re a true lemon lover like me, try this Glazed Lemon Bread or Glazed Lemon Brownies as well.
Moist Lemon Pound Cake
Marie here from Sugar Salt Magic and I’m so excited to bring you this recipe. Aside from the uplifting aroma that fills your home while this cake bakes (reason enough to make it asap) the flavor and texture are just what you want from a lemon pound cake.
The crumb is soft but tight, the flavor is buttery and oh so lemony with lemon juice and zest starring in both the batter and glaze. This cake is easy to make and with the simple glaze poured over the top, perfect when you feel like a morning or afternoon pick me up.
What is a Pound Cake?
It’s all in the name. Traditionally a pound cake was made with a pound of flour, a pound of eggs, a pound of butter and a pound of sugar and sometimes a leavened. This results in a very rich and dense cake.leavened
Over time, the classic pound cake has been adjusted and adapted. Having no liquid in the traditional recipe, the cake could be prone to turning out a little dry. Not this one.
Ingredients in Lemon Cake
Technically, this would be a half pound cake, having roughly half a pound of those classic pound cake ingredients like flour, butter, sugar and eggs. In addition, this one has these pantry staple ingredients.
- Baking powder: to help it rise and lighten it up.
- Salt: Just a touch for balance
- Vanilla: for flavor and balance
- Lemon: both zest and juice make this cake bright and zesty, while the juice adds some moisture.
- Buttermilk: This helps to make the cake moist and tender.
How to Make The Best Lemon Pound Cake
This lemon pound cake has just a few simple steps and is simply glazed so it isn’t difficult to make. The cake batter will look like it’s split at various stages. Don’t worry, it will bake up perfectly. With buttermilk, lemon zest and juice, it has a high acid content which can react with the butter.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs (photo 1) one at a time and making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl often.
- Add vanilla and zest and beat them in.
- Alternate the dry ingredients with the buttermilk and lemon juice (photos 2 & 3), stirring until just combined.
- Tip it into a lined loaf tin (photo 4) and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, wait 5 minutes before removing it from the tin and onto a cooling rack. Let it cool before glazing so the glaze doesn’t run straight off.
- For the glaze, mix together powdered sugar and zest then gradually add lemon juice mixing until it is just barely pourable.
Top Tips for Pound Cake!
- The lemon juice and buttermilk add moisture to this cake but cakes, and particularly pound cakes can over-bake if you aren’t paying attention.
- When baking with lemons, always zest them first, then juice them: it’s nearly impossible to do the other way round. I use a micro-plane to zest them.
- Bring the butter, eggs and buttermilk to room temperature before starting. Cold ingredients don’t incorporate so well.
How to Know When Your Pound Cake is Done
Remember: all ovens vary and what takes an hour in mine may take 50 minutes in yours. Always check your bake 5-8 minutes (on longer bakes, 2-3 minutes on shorter bakes) before the recipe suggests by poking a toothpick into the centre.
- If it comes out wet, it’s still not finished baking.
- If it comes out with just a couple sticky crumbs on, this is perfectly baked. Remove it from the oven.
- If it comes out with no crumbs attached, it’s already over-baked. Take it out and remove it from the tin immediately to reduce the risk of it cooking further and drying out more.
Can I Freeze Glazed Lemon Pound Cake?
Lemon pound cake has a low moisture content so it’s best eaten within 1-2 days, however it freezes beautifully. Any leftovers can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 3 months.
Glazed Lemon Pound Cake
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings 10 Slices
This bright and zesty glazed lemon pound cake is buttery, soft and topped with an easy lemon glaze. It’s perfect for lemon lovers.
For the Cake
- 1 ½
all purpose flour
(195g / 6.8oz)
unsalted butter, softened
(226g / 8oz / 2 sticks)
white granulated sugar
(200g / 7oz)
large eggs, room temp
- 1 ½
buttermilk, room temp
For the Glaze
- 1 ¼
(163g / 5.7oz)
You’ll need 2-3 lemons for this recipe, depending on size and how juicy they are.
Calories371kcal (19%)Carbohydrates50g (17%)Protein2g (4%)Fat19g (29%)Saturated Fat12g (60%)Trans Fat1gCholesterol49mg (16%)Sodium62mg (3%)Potassium78mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar35g (39%)Vitamin A568IU (11%)Vitamin C5mg (6%)Calcium28mg (3%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.