Butter Garlic Herb Steak Foil Packets
Butter Garlic Herb Steak Foil Packets have melted in your mouth beef with hearty veggies that are grilled to perfection with butter that has garlic and herbs inside. This is one amazing meal that you don’t want to miss out on!
Delicious and filling, streak and veggies are always a go-to in our house and this recipe is no exception because it is tasty AND easy! If you love steak, try this Philly cheesesteak, air fryer steak, or prime rib!
Why Cook Steak in Foil Packets?
There are SO many ways to cook up delicious steak!! If you haven’t tried cooking it in a foil packet, be sure to check out this tried and true recipe and you will be glad you didn’t miss it! Cooking steak in a foil packet is an easy, beginner way to introduce yourself to cooking juicy, tender steak. Not only does your meat turn out amazing but you are cooking your vegetables at the exact same time!
By cooking your steak like this, the vegetables and the steak combine their flavors and juices making it so yummy! You can mix and match in this recipe and what better thing to include with them than butter with garlic and herbs? It just melts while it cooks and creates the most tender and perfect steak and veggies. This is a great summer dish and we love having a big BBQ followed by a fire and s’mores. Foil packets are one of my all-time favorite things to grill. It is the perfect meal in one!
Ingredients for Steak Foil Packets
This steak is so delicious and a MUST try for any steak lovers! You only need a few basic ingredients and you will be on your way to an easy, yummy dinner! See the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Red potatoes: Get these on the smaller side and cut them into fourths.
- Carrots: Slice up your carrots so they are about 1 inch.
- Red and green bell peppers: Cut each pepper into small cubes
- Red onion: Dice your onion into cubes.
- Salt and pepper: This is to add flavor that coats the veggies. Use pepper sparingly if you don’t like heat!
- Olive oil: This will help the flavoring stick to the vegetables and help them to not clump together while cooking.
- Top sirloin steak: Cut into one inch cubes (*see recipe card for note on searing the meat)
Ingredients for Garlic Herb Butter
- Butter: Make sure the butter is at room temperature.
- Parsley, rosemary and thyme: These herbs should be freshly chopped.
- Garlic cloves: Mince your cloves. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use minced garlic. ½ tsp is about the same as 1 garlic clove.
- Salt: This will bring out all of the flavors in the recipe!
- Pepper: This dish doesn’t have a lot of heat so you don’t need to worry about the pepper being too much. It adds some great flavor!
How to Make Butter Garlic Herb Steak Foil Packets
We absolutely loved these foil packets! They are easily one of our favorites. I love how the grill gives the slightly charred edges. These were full of amazing flavor and I loved the combination of the herbs.
- Toss: In a medium sized bowl add the red potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and red onion. Add salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.
- Place on foil: Put four 18×12-inch pieces of heavy aluminum foil on counter. Evenly place vegetable mixture on each piece of foil. Top vegetables with steak.
- Make and top with garlic herb butter: In a small bowl add the butter, parsley, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Divide evenly and place on top of the steak. Double fold top and ends of each piece of foil, leaving space for steam to gather.
Other Cooking Methods
- Grill: Place packets on the grill and cover. Grill 15 minutes or until steak is cooked through and veggies are tender. Carefully open packets and serve.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Unwrap and broil right at the end to give the steak a slight char.
Helpful Recipe Tips
You guys have got to grill these this summer. They are fantastic and will become a new favorite at your house as well! Here are a couple of tips that will make this recipe super easy!
- Steak: The recipe calls for top sirloin and I would definitely make sure to follow that. It’s important to use a cut of steak that stays tender when you cook it like this! You CAN use a ribeye or porterhouse cut but they are not as lean!
- Potatoes: If you use the baby red potatoes then you won’t have to peel them and they cook up so nicely in this recipe!
- Vegetables: Make sure that you are cutting all of the vegetables about the same size so that they cook evenly together. If you chops some up larger than others, they will not be done all at the same time!
- Olive oil: I prefer to use olive oil in this recipe but if you have another oil on hand in your kitchen, you can totally use that instead!
The great thing about recipes like this is that you can easily change them up to make them your own! Here are a few ideas on variations and what you could do to make this recipe fit your family just right!
- Vegetables: Your kids don’t like bell peppers or carrots? No problem! Try adding in any variety of vegetables that you like! Green beans, corn, broccoli or anything you can think of that will make this recipe better for you!
- More flavor: If you want to add a little more flavor, try adding in some cheese or some chopped up bacon! It will totally change things up but those are two things that you can’t go wrong with!
Can I Make These Foil Packets Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can! If you are planning on taking these camping or want to prepare them ahead of time for your family BBQ, you can do that! Here are some instructions.
- Meat and veggies: You can chop all of the ingredients up a few hours ahead of time (I wouldn’t recommend any sooner than that because your potatoes will start to turn brown). Put them in some ziplock bags in a cooler or your fridge and take them out and place them in the foil when you are ready to cook!
- Garlic herb butter: Make this ahead of time and store it seperately from your meat and veggies. You will want to wait until just before cooking to coat the food (make sure to stir the butter mixture before you begin tossing). By keeping this seperate and tossing it on the food just before cooking, the butter doesn’t harden up into uneven clumps on the food. This will keep it nice and even for cooking!
Butter Garlic Herb Steak Foil Packets
- 1 pound small red potatoes cut into fourths
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 1 green bell pepper cubed
- 1/2 red onion cut into cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound top sirloin steak cut into one inch cubes*
Garlic Herb Butter:
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a medium sized bowl add the red potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and red onion. Add salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.
Place four 18×12-inch pieces of heavy aluminum foil on the counter. Evenly place the vegetable mixture on each piece of foil. Top vegetables with steak.
To make the garlic herb butter: In a small bowl add the butter, parsley, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly and place on top of the steak. Double fold the top and ends of each piece of foil, leaving space for steam to gather.
Place packets on the grill and cover. Grill 15 minutes or until steak is cooked through and veggies are tender. Carefully open packets and serve.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Unwrap and broil right at the end to give the steak a slight char.
Comments are closed.